Thursday, August 4, 2016

Brutal and Beautiful



Sunday, July 10, 2016


Brutal and Beautiful


Southeast Asia, Myanmar, Bokpyien

Mid-life crisis? Maybe? What is a mid-life crisis like in 2016? When I grew-up, it was easy – You divorced, and you got a Porsche 911. 

It seemed so very easy. 

Now? Today? In 2016? Donald Trump, as US presidential candidate? Brexit? Syria?

Alone in Southeast Asia.

Alone in Myanmar.

No, not so easy anymore.

50 years old. Entrepreneur in nine countries since 1999. That is now 17 years ago, my friends. It does not matter what education you have after 17 years as an entrepreneur. No one wants to take the risk of hiring you.

Too radical. Too old.

Too experienced.

Having lived in Southeast Asia, having lived in Indonesia, Singapore, Philippines, Thailand, Myanmar for the past ten years, I must however say that this is my new home. No matter how brutal, dirty, noisy it is. You will always find very, very happy people here.

A friend of mine asked me one evening, when we were walking through a town with 85,000 inhabitants, and a total of five cars (!), in Indonesia; “Do you think these people know how lucky they are?” The obvious answer –“No – They have no clue!

I have walked thousands of miles in remote areas for the past ten years, all over Southeast Asia. Everywhere, if you come with a smile, people will great you with pure happiness, from the bottom of their hearts. Today, for example, I was out walking and an 80 years old man stopped me, and we had a brief chat. When parting he slapped me on my butt (!) and said; “Have a great day my friend!

I remember other memorable encounter in Baybay, Philippines. You know small villages are just some houses strung along one main street, this was one of those. When I came to the end of the street, some fifty odd kids stood there and hand-slapped me, and they were all very, very happy.

Most of the time, except for Singapore of course, everyone I have met, on the streets wherever I have walked, have greeted you with a smile, with a hand shake, with a nod of happiness. 

No one is unhappy here. 

Poor? Yes! 

But unhappy?

No!

It seems like the more rich a country gets, the more unhappy, the people becomes.

No, what we have to do, is to regain happiness. We need to get back to basics. No! You do not need that new fancy car, you do not need that fancy new house. No, you do not need to eat a SGD 400 dinner!

It is crazy!

Totally crazy.

It is all about balance. It is all about Maslow.

Naturally you need food to survive. 75% of all people in the world grow their own food. Then you need a roof over your head. Does not have to be big. I thought the people in the Philippines how to build a great 15 m2 house out of dead coconut trees, for less than USD 500!

Then of course we have education.

I have now been here in Myanmar for almost two months, and I have already taught in eight “schools”.

During my time here, I have developed a very simple curriculum, which could probably be used for more than half of the population of the world:

  •  Learn English
  •  Cook good food
  •  Learn your history
  •  Conserve your forest
  •  Clean up the mess
  •  Learn effective agriculture

Simple! Effective.

Easy to teach - Easy to learn.

Most, (no all!), people here in Myanmar does not even have the educational level that I had when in eighth grade in Sweden! Most adults here have never gone to school. Fortunately now, kids do get at least basic education. As a matter a fact the best English speaker I know here in Myanmar is a 10 year old guy. He speaks better English than most Swedes.

It must be horrible in Europe right now. I am so happy to be an immigrant in Southeast Asia, and not an African in Sweden. Conflict, problems, arguments, begging, crime, racism.  No, nothing of a kind over here. Every shop has their money in a plastic tub, that is it. Crime does not exist over here.

It is all about balance.

Trust me, I know, we do not need all those things we have been collecting over the years, or striving to get. No, we do not need it. The only thing you need is to eat great food, to wash your clothes, and to shower properly. 

Everyday. 

And of course you need to be happy! 

Mid-life crisis?

No, I do not think so. Just waking up to the reality of life, and enjoying every moment.

I have seen many more rich people unhappy, than I have seen poor people very happy!

What is important?

What is important in your life?

Per

1 comment:

  1. Quite interesting!
    But only couple of posts? I am waiting to read more of your thoughts

    ReplyDelete