Thursday, June 02, 2016
Initial Observations
I have now spent over a week in Myiek and this is clearly
not going to be an easy venture. Doing business here is going to be though – very
though. And, so far we are only talking about basic living conditions.
How is it going to be to deal with business in one of the
most corrupt countries in the world?
Aidan and I have joked many times about how “medieval”
things seem over here.
Well, let me tell you. This is for sure 100% true.
Reading (again) Frank McLynn’s “The Burma Campaign –
Disaster to Triumph, 1942-45” is not exactly helping me to lift my spirits,
but it is however making me better understand how bad things actually are in
this part world, in this year of 2016. And in the end. It is a very, very,
motivating and inspiring book.
There are very few books I can truly recommend – this is one
of the few ones.
You all know me by now.
I have lived in Indonesia, Singapore, Philippines, Thailand
and India. Not the most developed countries in the world. Myanmar, however, is
a totally different ball-game. I did live for 5 months in Leyte, the most
devastated island of the Philippines after the Yolanda hurricane. There you can
talk about disaster; here it is just utter misery.
Reflecting over this, I do want to take my time to express
my deepest appreciation for the team we managed to assemble so far. To you Tar,
what you accomplished in Cambodia over two years was truly exceptional (not
your fault money ran out). Tero you went native and build a home in the jungle,
truly amazing, and something I admire a lot. Aidan, you still have to deliver,
but I love you too much (haha!). Sean will always deliver, I have no
doubt.
The team we have is extraordinary! Second to none!
I think we just need some more professional marketing around
our efforts. 479 PowerPoint slides are obviously not enough! Sean, I set you up
with Mandi, what happened? Obviously it is difficult for me to manage this
situation from a town without internet communication access.
As though as life is over here, there are some very good
things to report. Only in the Philippines have I felt as home as I feel here.
People are very, and I mean very, happy to see a tall Swede walking down the
street in a black hat. I am welcomed with open arms where ever I turn a corner.
Aidan will remember the picture he took of me with the family a block away from
MPC.
Well, we are now truly – A new family.
This was not meant to be such a dramatic saga, but I could
not help myself. I just wanted to share developments with you all, with you, my
very best friends. I did spend another ten hours composing a letter to my Mom.
I highly recommend you to take some serious time off what we believe, is
important, and to compose and send, a Thank You letter you your own Mom.
It feels great.
As this was never meant to be the casual letter it become – but
a proper report from the Special Frontier Discovery Detachment – Team 5,
you will find the more important operational details in upcoming Special Reports.
Have Fun,
Per
No comments:
Post a Comment